Sunday, January 4, 2009

Repo! moment


So, I'm really bad at this whole not falling off the face of the earth thing, I guess. I'm sorry! A short while ago, though, I had written up a product review for my dear friend SarahPuff. This time, it's my turn for a blog update.

Now, this won't be about clothes I'm making(unless you count the fact that fans dress up for Repo! like they do for the Rocky Horror Picture show, and I'm no exception. I'm planning on attempting a remake of a Roberto Cavalli dress that a character wears in the film), but I'll be telling you about something much more amazing. This blog, my friends, will be my attempt to introduce you to an amazing rock opera. Don't make that face, it's better than it has any right to be.

Repo! is an incredible film by director Darren Bousman(directed Saws 2, 3, and 4, if you care to know). The amazing cast is mainly compiled of Alexa Vega(think Spy Kids), Anthony Steward Head(yes, the librarian on Buffy), Paul Sorvino, Sarah Brightman, Paris Hilton(I know, that's what I thought too, but it wouldn't be Repo! without her!), and the mind-boggling Terrance Zdunich.

The premise of this movie by Mr. Darren Smith and Mr. Zdunich(yep, multi-talented man; he even composed a number of the songs) is that, in the not too distant future, in responce to an epidemic of organ failure, a large bio-technology corporation will offer financing on transplant surgeries. If the contract isn't signed in blood, however--as in the case of Blind Mag(Ms. Brightman)--your account will be handed over to GeneCo's Repo man. That's right: GeneCo has managed to legalize organ reposession, and therefor, murder. For those who have become addicted to surgery, the "scalpel sluts," a painkiller called Zydrate has been supplied. Despite GeneCo's best efforts, Zydrate has a definite street presence. Even Amber Sweet(Ms. Hilton), the daughter of GeneCo's owner, can be found in the alleys from time to time, searching for a hit from everyone's favorite dealer: Graverobber(Mr. Zdunich. See what I meant about multi-talented? And that voice!)



With a great script that is so deliciously memorable--could
you forget the line, "Amber, happiness is not a warm scalpel!"--and fans who dress up in costume and sing along, this rock opera is definitely worthy of attention. Even better is that the DVD will be released on the 20th. Yes, this January. 16 days from today, I will be dancing in my livingroom to Joan Jett's appearance in the song "Seventeen."


The Chicago Repo Army

By the way, Mr. Zdunich, if ever you somehow see this. Thank you very much for being so awesome for the world to see, but do you have to be this awesome? You'll give us all complexes!

Join the craziness! It's good for your health.

Generated image

2 comments:

Kate McG said...

oh herro!


whoa...repo....sounds...AWESOME!!!!

right my alley!

must see it!

Lissa said...

Yesyesyes, must see Repo! It's too much fun!